Will Your Houston AC Survive Summer?
The Houston summer is nearly here and things are starting to heat up. Homeowners are beginning to rely on their air conditioning systems to run day and night to keep their family cool. Most of us don’t give much thought to our Houston AC system until we start sweating. We cringe at the thought of air conditioning repair or replacement but the majority of homeowners do not perform annual AC maintenance, which can eliminate 80 – 90% of all air conditioning failures.
Here a few signs that your system may be headed for failure this Summer:
– The temperature inside of every room of your home does not match (within 2 degrees) the temperature on your thermostat
– Your air conditioner is over 10 years old
– You have not performed AC maintenance each year
– It takes a long time for your home to become cool or comfortable
– Your energy bill is greater than 10% of the square footage of your home. For example, if you live in a home that is 2500 sq ft, your highest electricity bill of the year should be no more than $250.
– You have to “recharge” or “refill” your Houston AC system with freon. Contrary to popular belief, your air conditioning system should never have to be “recharged” with freon. The only reason it would need freon added is because it has a leak. Unless the leak is repaired or the system replaced, you can expect to routinely pay rising costs for freon each year.
Why you shouldn’t be afraid of upgrading your Houston AC
Yes, upgrading your A/C can be a large investment (typically the 3rd largest your family will make) but it does offer a large return on investment. Every year the HVAC industry produces more and more efficient units, if your system is over 10 years old (typical age for replacement) you can expect an efficiency increase of anywhere from 20 – 50%! In addition to your A/C upgrade, by performing home energy improvements like duct sealing, insulation, and/or attic sealing you can cut your overall cooling and heating costs by over 50%!
New Houston AC Benefits:
– Lower energy costs
– Improved home comfort
– Greater humidity control
– Decreased environmental impact
– Higher indoor air quality
Air Conditioning Repairs
If your system is less than 10 years old, repair may be an option for you. Once your system has been properly repaired, it is important to have your HVAC service technician explain to you why the failure occurred and how to prevent future costly repairs.
Common causes of Houston AC Repair:
– Lack of annual maintenance
– Improper system insulation
– Duct or attic leakage cause the system to work harder to cool
As always, whatever your Houston AC and home energy needs are HousePro is happy to help. We offer free replacement estimates, free repair diagnosis, and fast reliable service. Feel free to call us at any time (We’re open 24 hours) to schedule a no obligation appointment.